Re: [RFC] Support for Write-and-Verify only drives

On 6/28/23 16:40, Daniel Rozsnyó wrote:
(IRONY ON) If your approach is so "simple" - could you just "simply" ban from Linux a complete lineup of 2 major hard drive vendors (Seagate, HGST), until they do fix my particular firmware? Sure we do not want to support these incompetent drive makers that ship drives with a potentially "broken" fw. (IRONY OFF)

If a technology is considered too crazy, support is not added in the Linux kernel.

How common are hard disks that accept the WRITE AND VERIFY command but not the WRITE command? And how are these sold to users? Which arguments do drive vendors use to convince users to buy drives that are not supported by the Linux kernel?

Thanks,

Bart.