Re: [RFC] Support for Write-and-Verify only drives

On 6/26/23 13:35, Daniel Rozsnyó wrote:
   There are some drives, or more precisely - normal drives with a custom firmware, that simply reject a regular Write - likely as not being good enough for the intended high-rel application - which I can understand, but even after reformatting the drive to no-PI and going to "poor" 512B sector size, they still refuse to do an easy Write operation. I had verified that by using the sg_write_verify (that uses an ioctl) I can really write data to these drives. The reading path is working okay and both dd and hdparm works at expected speeds.

To me the above sounds like the drive firmware is broken. Please fix the drive firmware and make sure that WRITE commands are accepted.

Thanks,

Bart.