Re: [RFC] Support for Write-and-Verify only drives

On 6/29/23 07:54, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On 6/26/23 13:35, Daniel Rozsnyó wrote:
>>     There are some drives, or more precisely - normal drives with a
>> custom firmware, that simply reject a regular Write - likely as not
>> being good enough for the intended high-rel application - which I can
>> understand, but even after reformatting the drive to no-PI and going to
>> "poor" 512B sector size, they still refuse to do an easy Write
>> operation. I had verified that by using the sg_write_verify (that uses
>> an ioctl) I can really write data to these drives. The reading path is
>> working okay and both dd and hdparm works at expected speeds.
>
> To me the above sounds like the drive firmware is broken. Please fix the
> drive firmware and make sure that WRITE commands are accepted.

All write commands are optional in SBC. So having a drive supporting write
verify and not supporting regular write 10/16/32 is actually acceptable per
specs. I agree that this is odd, but it is not a spec violation. So the question
is: do we want to detect and support that ?

--
Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research