Re: Adaptect 9405w: What is the best solution?

On Jan 17, 2007, at 4:51 AM, Tarjei Huse wrote:

Alexis Bruemmer wrote:
Hi Tarjei,

I am glad that you a progressing forward!

Me too :-)
<snip>

Perhaps. Could you send a full output? It does not appear that the
aic94xx driver is loading at all...?

Duh again. I thought I had added the module to the initrd, but that
didn't happen.

Ok, I'm one step further. Where can I get the binary firmware the
adapter asks for?

The new sequencer has yet to be posted. You can, however, use the old
f/w in the meantime by backing out patch #38:

http://sweaglesw.net/~djwong/docs/sas_ata-patches/38-aic94xx-v28- sequencer_2.patch

Ok, did that. I now manage to load the module after boot when running rmmod aic94xx and then modprobe aic94xx. However, I cannot get it to load the firmware on boot. I've tried modifying the initram-fs image and placing the module in both /lib/firmware/ and / lib/firmware/2.6.20-rc5/ but it seems not to find the firmware (aic94xx-seq.fw) in any of those locations.

If I reload the module after booting, it will find the firmware in / lib/firmware/2.6.20-rc5 without problems.

Any tips?

Your initramfs needs to have hotplug scripts that can handle firmware loading. I'm pretty sure that is what is missing, because I just went through the same thing with a QLogic FC driver.

--
Mark Rustad, MRustad@xxxxxxx

-