Re: Fwd: Re: Problem with Linux aic94xx driver

--- "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- Terje Røsten <terje.rosten@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > (It's 4 Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS with NCQ (500 GB SATA) on the
> > controller,
> > set up in RAID BIOS  to one RAID 1+0 logical drive).
>
> I suppose this may be a moot point since Mr. Røsten bought a better
> controller, but for the record, there exists another SAS stack that also
> does not have this bug (namely, the entire lack of SATA support):
>
> http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/jejb/aic94xx-sas-2.6.git;a=summary

And there exists the original SAS Stack _with_ SATA support, _without_ this
bug, which I distribute.  I'm not sure if Terje was aware of it.

I think it is clear from his letter that he wanted SATA support.  Why would
he use a SAS Stack which has no SATA support, and thus trivially wouldn't
exhibit this bug, as per your suggestion...

This all of course begs the question: Why is there such a blatant
bug in the "master" branch of the Linux kernel for this driver?
Yep, I'm looking at tag v2.6.20-rc2 and it is right there where he
pointed out that it is.  The commit introducing it is
2908d778ab3e244900c310974e1fc1c69066e450, and it is one blob commit,
without previous git history, only the log message.

You seem to have replied to an email which I posted to linux-scsi, i.e.
my email is in the To: header.  You also seem to have edited the mail
headers to remove me from the CC/To list which is automatically built when
one replies to a message.

Removing people from CC lists is considered impolite. Adding people
is ok.

   Luben

-