Re: Fwd: Re: Problem with Linux aic94xx driver

--- Terje Røsten <terje.rosten@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> (It's 4 Western Digital RE2 WD5000YS with NCQ (500 GB SATA) on the
> controller,
> set up in RAID BIOS  to one RAID 1+0 logical drive).

I suppose this may be a moot point since Mr. Røsten bought a better
controller, but for the record, there exists another SAS stack that also
does not have this bug (namely, the entire lack of SATA support):

http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/jejb/aic94xx-sas-2.6.git;a=summary

There are various stability/functionality fixes for that stack that are
under development as well:

http://sweaglesw.net/~djwong/docs/sas_ata-patches/

That said, even if Mr. Røsten had built a driver with SATA support, he
wrote that he had configured a RAID in the BIOS; to use that under
Linux, one needs the dmraid tool to set up BIOS RAID arrays as
device-mapper devices.  Of course, it is possible that at least one of
the many (five? six?) Adaptec 94xx driver variants supports both SATA
and HostRAID natively.

Better to use a nice 3ware card that takes care of all this in hardware.

--D
-