Re: Latest versions of rtslib, configshell and targetcli

On 4/6/19 11:30 PM, TomK wrote:
> On 3/28/2019 1:53 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On March 28, 2019 5:42:52 PM UTC, Christoph Hellwig
>> <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>     On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:26:13PM -0400, TomK wrote:
>>
>>         Hey All,
>>
>>         I'm wondering if there are newer versions of the following
>>         packages still
>>         available and where I could download them from? The github link
>>         hasn't
>>         been updated in quite some time:
>>

>>     I think you want to look for the versions with the -fb postfix.  They
>>     aren't 100% compatible, but a lot more actively maintained.

As far as I know, they are largely compatible. I've yet to see a case in
my usage that was not compatible, but I rarely push the edge of any use
cases.

>>     I've Cced the mailing list for the project, although I haven't gotten
>>     a single mail from that list for more than a year either..

>>     List
>> Guidelines:https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>>     List
>> Archives:https://lists.fedorahosted.org/archives/list/targetcli-fb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Those do indeed seem to be the mailing list. There is also discussion on
the kernel target development list, I believe, since the targetcli-fb
and friends packages just give you access (generally through sysfs) to
the kernel target code (i.e. LIO).

>> I have been using the -fb versions for a while now and not had any
>> issues with them.
>> You do need to use either the -fb versions for all, or the non-fb
>> versions for all. Mix and match is not supported and can lead to
>> strange results (if it even works).

In some distributions, such as mine (SUSE), the non-fb versions are
deprecated, since there is *no* new development there in years.

>> I also don't remember getting any emails on this list for a while either.
>>
>> --
>> Joost
>> --
>
> Thanks all!
>
> If targetcli or the -fb version isn't maintained much anymore, I'm
> wondering what else I could use in it's place?

What do you say they are not much maintained any more? It looks to me
like the last commit to targetcli-fb was about 6 weeks ago.

All three packages are maintained and get regular updates.

The projects are hosted on github now, under the open-iscsi project, i.e.:

https://github.com/open-iscsi/targetcli-fb	at version v2.1.fb49
https://github.com/open-iscsi/rtslib-fb		at version v2.1.fb69
https://github.com/open-iscsi/configshell-fb	at version v1.1.fb25

By the way, a google of "targetcli-fb git sources" showed the current
github repository as the first entry.
--
Lee