Re: Users of exynos drm driver

On 27/02/2024 10:26, Krzysztof Kozlowski wrote:
> On 08/02/2024 19:42, Seth Jenkins wrote:
>> Hi, my name is Seth and I'm a member of the Google Project Zero
>> security research team,
>>
>> I'm presently looking at the upstream code present in
>> drivers/gpu/drm/exynos, enabled by kernel config CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS. It
>> appears to be well-maintained and regularly patched, but despite my
>> best efforts I have had difficulty tracking down the end-users of this
>> driver. I have not been able to find any recent examples of this
>> driver being compiled into kernels Android devices or Samsung Smart
>
> Vendor Android? They do not use mainline kernels but some old stuff.
> Android devices are well known of not using mainline kernels, but vendor
> old, custom and poor stuff. I thought that's kind of obvious. :)
>
>> TV's (based on Samsung's open source repositories). I've also not been
>
> TVs not sure, but most likely even worse than above - even older, less
> "mainline" kernels, because no one pushes them to do something like GKI
> where at least you have to package vendor crap into module.
>
>> able to find any modern open-source codebases that utilize the ioctls
>> exposed by this driver.
>
> Hm, that one should be. We have working display since years (10? 12? 15?).
>

>> I was hoping you may be able to point me towards modern usage of this
>> driver - I assume it's present in kernels compiled for some subset of
>> Exynos socs and in lieu of  the CONFIG_DRM_SAMSUNG_DPU code? What
>> kernels/end-devices would that be?
>
> All mainline supported devices. Open mainline kernel, go to DTS and
> look. Now, if the question is how to get one, it's a different story.
> Currently known widely-available devboards are Hardkernel and e850-96.
>
> For community, users and all list of devices see: exynos kernel wiki and
> postmarketOS pages on mainlining (that's probably the most comprehensive
> list). elinux page also might have something.

One more thought, because you entirely skipped me in the CC list. Please
use scripts/get_maintatainers, to obtain the list of maintainers. In
that case you could get some sort of answer from me 20 days earlier,
because I scroll through samsung-soc occasionally. get_maintainers.pl
prints my name, so I just don't need to look at mailing list.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]