Re: Question about Odroid XU4 cpuidle

Hi Lukasz

On 10.06.2020 16:30, Lukasz Luba wrote:
> On 6/10/20 3:09 PM, Marek Szyprowski wrote:

>>> The state 0 long time ago was WFI. It was kind of meaningless so it it
>>> was dropped.

>>> Try earlyprintk.
>>>
>>> In general, the big-little cpuidle driver should work... or rather:
>>> long
>>> time ago it was working.  It requires proper support from early stages
>>> (BL1, secure monitor) but this should be already in standard Odroid.
>>>
>>> I just saw there:
>>>     /* Start at index 1, index 0 standard WFI */
>>> so maybe it was not updated properly to removal of WFI?
>>>
>>> I think no one uses this driver so it might be not well tested and not
>>> that useful.
>>
>> I think it never worked on Odroid XU3/XU4. Afair it was developed on
>> PeachPi Chromebook, which use different bootloader (and doesn't use
>> trustzone).
>
> That would explain the compatibility string in that driver. Good to
> know. Thank you for your response.

I've just digged a bit in the old kernels and indeed, the big-little
cpuidle driver worked only on Samsung Exynos 5420/5800 Chromebooks
(Peach Pit/Pi). The last release which worked fine (although it was
still not enabled in the exynos_defconfig) is v4.2. Then it got broken
by the commit 833b5794e330 ("ARM: EXYNOS: reset Little cores when cpu is
up"). It never worked on the Odroid XU3/XU4.

Do you have any plans to fix it?

Best regards
--
Marek Szyprowski, PhD
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]