Re: domain off

On 20.01.2016 18:52, Sriram V wrote:
> Hi Krzyszof,
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Krzysztof Kozlowski
> <k.kozlowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11.01.2016 10:48, Sriram V wrote:
>>> Hi Krzystof,

>>> That is true, runtime suspend framework should disable the clocks.
>>> Hence, my question is if the clocks are active, Will disabling the
>>> domain take effect? Because when i print the status - they show that
>>> the domain is OFF.
>>
>> Yes, the domain will be disabled.
>>

>>> On my system, what i see is camera clocks are active, But the domain
>>> is OFF. Hence, i am not sure if camera subsystem is consuming power or
>>> not since clocks are on.

>>> any clocks are still on.
>>
>> Clocks and power domains in Linux are (mostly) independent subsystems so
>> the domain will be disabled even though some clocks are active. Some
>> clocks may be even missing in Linux (not defined) - it doesn't matter...
>>
>> It doesn't matter except in all the cases when this is a bug. :) The
>> clocks should be disabled and some muxes reparented to oscclk. One of
>> the cases we had was hang on reading clk_summary when power domain is off.
>>

> Thanks for your pointers.
>
> When i boot the kernel, I see that the following domains are currently
> on. I see that the following domains are currently on, Linux does not
> know about these domains and they are permanently on.
>
> pd-fsys, pd-psgen, pd-peric, pd-wcore
>
> Is there a way of finding out if these can be shut off. i dont think
> if clocks for the IP's serviced by these domains and the domain itself
> is correctly tied-in in runtime-pm. As these domains are always on.

The datasheet/reference manual in the "Local power control" describes
conditions whether they could be disabled or not. It also documents what
is required to power off them.

> Also, what kernel are you using?

Usually mainline and linux-next.

In some of the projects I use different ones, e.g. these on tizen.org
(https://review.tizen.org/git/?p=platform/kernel/linux-exynos.git;a=summary).

Best regards,
Krzysztof