When to post patches to this list or upstream

Dear all,

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:03:11PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > One of the purposes of this list was to catch trivial mistakes in the
> > patches before they are sent upstream for maintainer review. That should help
> > save maintainers time and keep them 'receptive' to samsung's patches.
>
> Speaking as one of these upstreams it's not surprising to see issues in
> submissions, especially where the drivers are from people who are not
> regular contributors to the subsystem.  Like I say, there are some
> things where a lot of cleanup is required where not posting does make
> sense but much of the code that is being posted is of a perfectly
> reasonable standard.  For example, even with posting initially to this
> list the first response wasn't raising fundamental issues so there
> should be no reason not to have moved upstream with the second round.

I agree.  So we should define the following rule:

* trivial fixes such as a single-line bugfix should always go upstram
  directly

* entirely new patchsets / drivers should first be sent to this list,
  receive some comment/feedback.  Second and further submission should be
  upstream

After some more time / experience, the quality of the patches should be higher
and thus we can eliminate the need to first post to this list altogether.

Regards,
	Harald.
--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/