Re: Mapping memory regions on s390

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 14:18:21 +0100 (CET)
Sebastian Ott <sebott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 13:14:38 +0100 (CET)
> > Sebastian Ott <sebott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The iomap, readb stuff is only usable in a PCI context on s390. But what
> > > is the problem here? virtio_ccw knows it's not a PCI driver - it doesn't
> > > have to use this stuff..
> >
> > The device has to put the shared regions somewhere. If the virtio-pci
> > transport is used, it's just a normal area within a BAR (IIUC), and
> > should be handled just like normal pci memory.
> >
> > The problem is where to put it if the virtio-ccw transport is used. The
> > idea was to put it in its own region (a device-memory region) and allow
> > the guest some way to discover that region (which is not within the
> > normal system memory from the guest's POW, just as pci memory isn't).
> > However, if we do that, we end up having the shared regions in
> > different regions depending upon whether the pci or the ccw transport
> > is used. Having pci use the special device memory on s390x does not
> > really sound like a good idea, either. Nor does putting it into pci
> > memory and accessing it from the ccw transport...
>
> How should virtio_ccw access this memory? Only via CCW programs? In this
> case you don't have to put it in the guests address space. Or should
> standard memory instructions (lg,st) be used? In this case maybe the
> 1-to-1 mapping or the vmalloc space??

The idea was to use standard memory instructions (i.e. both host and
guest can read from/write to the region at any time). There was also
the idea to read/write this from the guest side only via ccws, for
which we wouldn't need a new address space, but that would have serious
drawbacks like not being able to read/write from an atomic context.

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]