Re: Mapping memory regions on s390

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019, Halil Pasic wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:46:08 +0000
> "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > * Cornelia Huck (cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > This is getting a bit confusing... let me try to summarize:
> > >
> > > - We introduce a special area where shared memory areas are supposed to
> > >   live.
> > > - If a virtio device accessed via ccw defines shared regions, the
> > >   driver can discover them via a new ccw that indicates an address in
> > >   that special area.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > > - If a virtio device accessed via pci defines shared regions, the
> > >   driver will want to discover them via the same mechanism as on other
> > >   platforms. If I read
> > >   https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/virtio-comment/201901/msg00003.html
> > >   correctly, this will mean an offset into a BAR. This will be a normal
> > >   pci memory region.
> >
> > Right; note that like any other BAR it's upto the guest to write the BAR
> > to select which area of GPA it wants the BAR to map to.
> >
> > > Now, this sounds to me that we'll have regions in different memory
> > > regions, depending on whether they are accessed via ccw or via pci. Not
> > > sure if that's a problem.
> >
> > As long as they stay out of each others way it shouldn't be.
> >

> I'm not sure. What I'm concerted about is:
> * if it is a virtio-ccw device it would need to access the shared memory via
> normal memory access instructions.
> * if it is a virtio-pci device it would need to access the shared memory as
> pci memory, that is via special PCI memory access instructions.

I spent all morning going through this thread trying to understand what
you want to do here. Frankly, I fail to understand what's even new here.

We have emulated devices which are recognized by the guest OS' standard
bus code (PCI, CCW) but have a special ID such that a virtio driver is
bound to them. This driver uses standard accessors (pci_iomap, readb;
ccw_device_start) which have to be trapped by QEMU/KVM. What do you want
to change in this setup? Aren't the resources the virtio drivers access
shared memory today?

The iomap, readb stuff is only usable in a PCI context on s390. But what
is the problem here? virtio_ccw knows it's not a PCI driver - it doesn't
have to use this stuff..

Regards,
Sebastian

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]