Re: Questions to CI Testing the RT-Kernel

On 2021-11-08 11:28:15 [+0100], Gylstorff Quirin wrote:
> Dear all,
Hi,

> Our questions are:
>
> From what I found the RT-Project also uses the combination of cyclictest
> with hackbench for testing or are there currently any other tests
> specifically for real-time executed?
>
> Are there recommended tests that should be added to the CI testing of a
> RT-Kernel?

In general you want to have two categories:
- A debug run with lots of debug switches enabled like lockdep,
  debug-objects and what not.

- A "production" run where all of those expensive debug swiches are off.
  That "sleeping while atomic" is cheap and could remain enabled.

In these two types of config you want to run tests. As mentioned here
hackbench, stress-ng, … is a good start. You want also make sure that
you "use" all of your hardware that could be used in "production"
including disk, i2c, gpio, … and what else might be there.

While doing this, you don't want see any warnings in your debug config.
In your production config you want also to measure the responsibility/
latency of the system. cyclictest is good and simple but depending on
your usecase it might also include the latency of IPC communication,
ping-ping of network communication, etc.

Sebastian