Re: Questions to CI Testing the RT-Kernel

Hi Quirin,

On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 11:28:15AM +0100, Gylstorff Quirin wrote:
> From what I found the RT-Project also uses the combination of cyclictest
> with hackbench for testing or are there currently any other tests
> specifically for real-time executed?

I run most of the rt-tests with some background load. Usually it's a
hackbench. Since recently, I let run stress-ng (disabling a bunch of
stressors which trigger OOM situation for example).

For your CI setup, I would recommend trying to get real workloads from
your projects. hackbench is a very artificial workload for and only
exercises a small part of the kernel.

> Are there recommended tests that should be added to the CI testing of a
> RT-Kernel?

As mentioned, rt-tests is a good start. IIRC, ltp has also some RT tests
but I don't know their exact status. We (SUSE) did recently review
the ltp tests and most of them are covered by rt-tests, IIRC.

BTW, a bunch of links you might be interested if you are planing
to use LAVA:

https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/issues/474
https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/pull/85
https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/pull/201