Re: WAS: linux-rt fails to boot on > 3.12.5.-rt7 ... NOW IS: linux-rt-3.14 boots by reverting patches + nvidia uses __rt_mutex_init [which in 3.14 has been changed to EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL]

Hey Paul,

> I've got some AMD kit that has just been freed up from winter
> heating duty - sometime later this week I should be able to try to
> reproduce what you have seen, and knowing it works w/o the above
> softirq patch monkeying around should be a good lead on this.

That would be awesome! IIRC, Sebastian said that he didn't have said
h/w CPU kicking around to test with, at some point in my original
thread on this subject... and i just don't have the skill set required
[so i am very appreciative of anything you can do].  I don't know if
you caught it, but slavo also saw this thread, which led him to try
reverting those patches, which also allowed his arm platform to boot;
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rt-users/msg11655.html ...
Eventually, after sorting out another issue he had [possible
mis-patching, KernelStack problem], slavo posted the same reverse-rt
timer code patch that i am using [applies after unified rt patch] that
works; http://pastebin.com/MYLqbmZw ... So this isn't just an AMD
problem [and i am not sure what amd cpus are affected, other than
'positively' Phenom branded cpus - which are generally fairly decent
on -rt, in my use. likewise i am not sure what other ARM platforms are
affected - maybe someone else can speak up/take a look].

* Also, [i have had several users report this to me] NO_HZ_FULL on
3.14-rt can be problematic / lead to serious instability. [on amd
Phenom anyway]. One person i know was getting lockups just by
connecting Pulseaudio to his USB soundcard, i even had one lockup
[nothing to do with PA]. Switching to periodic timers [old tick] fixed
everything for everyone. the newer  no_hz_ code is still a little
dicey on -rt.

anyway, give it a try, when you get a chance. In my own builds, for
now - i am good to go [as far as performance / stability]. But i
obviously had to; 1). revert the rt timer changes/commits, 2). switch
to preiodic timers ...which was enough for 3.14-rt to work okay, but
3). Picked up the softirq-resurrect-threads.patch [IIRC, Steven
forward ported mingo's softirq split from 2.6.xx-rt to 3.2-rt or
3.4-rt], but i grabbed it from Mike Galbraith's post;
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rt-users/msg11204.html ~ I wish
this patch was in linux-rt/upstream. [actually, both].

now 3.14-rt is a happy camper ;)

Jordan