Re: WAS: linux-rt fails to boot on > 3.12.5.-rt7 ... NOW IS: linux-rt-3.14 boots by reverting patches + nvidia uses __rt_mutex_init [which in 3.14 has been changed to EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL]

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM, jordan <triplesquarednine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just an update on this;
>
>> [ninez@localhost ~]$ uname -a
>> Linux localhost 3.14.0-rt1-1-l-pa #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Apr 13
>> 10:44:19 EDT 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> I've been running 3.14-rt for a couple of hours now and it appears to
>> be stable, thus far - without those patches/fixes applied [and
>> obviously doesn't boot at all with them applied...and as you know - i
>> am not the only AMD user affected by the boot failures...so i am
>> thinking those patches really need to be looked at again, as they
>> cause serious regressions for some of us :\
>
> My Phenom II 965 has uptime of two days, after being stress tested and
> is running great [hackbench, cyclictest+100% load, etc] :)
>
> All of my other machines [both Intel and AMD] also are running well,
> without those three patches applied;
>
> | timers-do-not-raise-softirq-unconditionally.patch
> | timer-Raise-softirq-if-there-s-irq_work.patch
> | timer-rt-Always-raise-the-softirq-if-there-s-irq_wor.patch
>
> I did see a couple of "non-fatal" "NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 40"
> messages [as expected, since i reverted those patches] but these are
> harmless, when compared to my machines not being bootable with those
> applied... I don't have the expertise to fix those patches to boot on
> my AMD hardware, but i am hoping that someone who does; can take a

I've got some AMD kit that has just been freed up from winter
heating duty - sometime later this week I should be able to try to
reproduce what you have seen, and knowing it works w/o the above
softirq patch monkeying around should be a good lead on this.

Paul.