Re: Tracers+cyclictest causing kernel oops

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
<bigeasy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> I just tried the same thing on my AM33xx and nothing bad happned here.
> One thing still: you might want to use "-n" for nanosleep.

Same result.

> Could you try [0] to check if you are not using more memory than
> available? If the OOM-killer kills the program, then it is okay, if the
> data-abort exception comes or the kernel crashes in a strange way then
> it is HW.

Seems to be killed by the OOM-killer - see output below.

> The tracer do not use any special interrupts on purpose.
> Now that I saw rasperry-pi let me ask this: do you have any
> non-mainline patches on-top? And if it is the case, could you try to
> get rid of them?

By 'non-mainline' do you mean in addition to the kernel.org source, or
in addition to the raspberry pi git tree?  Yes, to the former, no to
the latter.

> Also you can try the same test without the RT patches?

Quite right - the same oops happens with "Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #4 PREEMPT".

I think I'm nearly starting to get my head around what's going on
here.  The USB driver uses FIQs, which normally isn't a problem
because nothing would interrupt the FIQ handler (or if it did, it
wouldn't generate a page fault).  But cyclictest runs at a higher
priority than the USB handler and generates page faults (at least when
it is initialising).  Eventually it interrupts a USB FIQ handler and
the memory manager doesn't know what to do with a page fault in a FIQ
handler, so it oopses.  Does that sound about right?

Tom