Re: linux rt 3.4.8-rt16 and nv 302.17, and system freezes, does nvidia strike again?

On 12Aug24:0748-0400, David L. Craig wrote:

> On 12Aug24:0826+0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 18:50 -0400, David L. Craig wrote:
> >
> > > I have asked for suggestions
> > > on this list and in the Debian bug report about
> > > next steps but thus far have received no responses.
> >
> > Once you report a black box (proprietary) driver problem to black box
> > manufacturer, your next and only step is to wait for same to produce a
> > new black box.  Nobody else can fix the problem, even if the source of
> > that problem lies in the well illuminated kernel.  It's dark inside the
> > black box, and only it's manufacturer can flip the light switch.
>
> Unless the black box is fine and it's the well-illuminated kernel
> that needs to be patched, n'est pas?  And, yes, I'm aware of how
> likely that is to be true. :-)

I'm too tired after a long night attending to many things
other than computing problems, so I should have been more
careful in answering.  My point was nvidia probably cannot
diagnose and fix problems outside their proprietary code
completely without any external help, nor can outside
expertise directly come to bear on problems inside their
proprietary code.  If a fix to the kernel is involved,
non-nvidia people will doubtless be involved.

BTW, the citation is not mine, you missed one level of
attribution in your editing.  Perhaps you also were
having a long night (but mine's LONGER! ;-) ). :-)
--
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________