Re: linux rt 3.4.8-rt16 and nv 302.17, and system freezes, does nvidia strike again?

On 12Aug18:1152+0200, Javier Sanz wrote:

> Yes, i got the same problem, black screen, no mouse, no keyboard ...
> i didnt  change any config file from X or nvidia ... only rt patch
> applied  ...  :(
> I'll try with nvidia 304.37 ... no patch required ? ... i'll test ...
>
> thank you

Just to be sure you didn't misunderstand the situation,
I do not have any rt kernel working with nvidia
except the Linux Mint Debian XFCE 13 distribution.
Debian considers this an important bug but nVidia's
assessment is unknown to date.

Perhaps another rt-kernel lister can offer a quality
suggestion about a likely fruitful approach to finding
people able and willing to dig into what the kern.log
shows is going on and direct further resolution
activities.  Such people are probably rt-kernel and/or
nVidia developers.  I could probably do it myself after
three months of nothing but working on it (including
in my sleep ;-) ).  I'd hazard a guess the following
has a lot to do with the problem:

[    6.993495] Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint

I don't know what the long-term outlook for nVidia market
share in the FLOSS area is.  I saw hardware acceleration
is apparently required for GNOME Unity.  That's good for
the hardware vendors, I suppose, but problematic for folks
who take the L in FLOSS very seriously.  I think we all
wish the vendors would choose to make these problems go
away by distributing their source.  As RMS says, they
won't if they don't have to, so we shouldn't be pragmatic,
just say no thank you.  Can I live without FlightGear?
Why should I have to, nVidia (BTW, I was given your
hardware--I wouldn't buy it)?  If the gamers really are
becoming Windows 8 refugees, I guess there's hope for the
future.  But if the governments start locking up systems
programming, doling out practioner licenses, and making
libre software illegal, then not.

But to hopefully get back on topic, I have the impression
I NEED the rt kernel because FG frame updates get
behind without it.  I've heard JACK audio works well
enough without rt these days (but I don't believe it
yet--soon enough I will be able to prove it to myself,
unless I get a job).
--
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________