Re: Latency problem

Thank you very much for your answers.

> The hwlatdetect application detects system management interrupts
> (SMIs). Such interrupts are installed by the BIOS and are used to manage
> various things such as battery management, overheat protection and
> emulation of legacy devices (e.g. IDE, PS/2 etc.). You may try to check
> your BIOS settings and disable all these or similar features.

In fact, after disabling almost all features in the bios, the problem
is still here but a little bit reducted (there is just about 20ms
latency now.. I think it's linked to the fact the thermal controller
is disabled). But I didn't find any reference to SMIs in the bios,
neither in the motherboard documentation (Supermicro X7DAL). The
computer was not bought for doing realtime, so if it isn't working I
think I'll change the computer to use one which has good latency
during the tests.

> One way to find out whether the spikes in the latency are due to
> SMI(System Management Interrupt) is to read the MSR register that
> keeps the count of SMIs. So, read the MSR in the start of the test
> program and the end of the test and see whether the count has
> increased. Unfortunately, it is model-specific-register and I am not
> sure whether AMD supports it. I don't think all Intel processors
> support it either. I know that Nehalem based Intel Core-i7 arrandale
> processor supports counting SMI thru MSR 0x34 and I have not found it
> documented in any Intel documentation but found in some reference BIOS
> source. I have tested it with legacy USB interrupts and found it to
> work. RDMSR is a privilege-0 instruction though.

0x34 is not working for me, it's not returning anything (just that he
can't read)
> root@station9:/home/xaf/RT# rdmsr 0x34
> rdmsr: CPU 0 cannot read MSR 0x00000034
The CPU I use here are two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  E5405 @ 2.00GHz, and
I am unable to find any documentation about the results of MSR to know
what argument I must use to see the number of SMIs. I'll investigate
more on this...

Thanks one more time !