Re: Latency problem

> You don't give any info wrt what kind of box this is, how you ran
> cyclictest, what load it was competing against, nada.  With the info
> provided, nobody can say much.
>
> It _looks_ like you must have just called up cyclictest using all
> defaults, which doesn't even start cyclictest as a realtime class task,
> meaning you'll see worst case latencies for SCHED_OTHER tasks, which has
> nothing to do with realtime class scheduling latencies.
>
> Latencies in the 40us range are pretty normal for my el-cheapo Q6600
> desktop grade box trying to save power and sucking rocks at it, but ms
> latencies I never see with remotely sane loads.
>
>        -Mike

Hello Mike,

You're right, but the problem is that I tried running cyclictest with
many different parameters to see if it was working (-S, -p95, etc..).
I also tried to disable some CPU hearts to see with just one active
heart if the problem still was here. But like I said, the test was
returning this bad results ONLY over this hardware ! I tried with the
same distribution, in the same conditions, and with the same tests on
other computers with different hardware (software wasn't different as
I used an external SDD to boot on debian), and it worked fine. I
agree... ms latencies is very weird...

The load of the system was different each time, but the results were
the same : I tried in single user mode, I tried with X server loaded,
under a X server terminal, etc. etc.
Moreover, the use of hwlatdetect seems to confirm that the problem is
from hardware.

Another test that we tried to do is to activate idle=poll at the boot
in grub, and to trace the cyclictest. In the traces, we can see a gap
of more or less 35ms.

I'm pretty sure the problem is linked to hardware. But if you have an
idea of parameters I can use with cyclictest to have better results,
please let me know !

Thank you !
Raphaël