Re: "yum install ...." based instruction on building a RT kernel.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Daniel James <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> There is something called Planet CCRMA, which is a set of
>> repositories for audio packages that run on RedHat, Fedora and CentOS.
>> They also package the real-time kernel in rpm form.
>
> Ready-packaged RT kernels make sense for JACK users with generic PCs,
> who may not be all that interested in optimisation (at first). They just
> want to be able to install a program like Ardour and have it run
> glitch-free.
>
> Being a release or two behind the bleeding edge is no bad thing for that
> type of user either - if (for instance) 2.6.31-rt works fine in a
> production audio system, there's no big hurry to change it and
> potentially break stuff. For that sort of user, high availability is
> much more important than squeezing every last drop of performance out of
> the hardware.
>
> In audio recording, we're potentially capturing once-in-a-lifetime or
> one-time-ever events, particularly since the industry focus has shifted
> from the studio to the live stage - whether TV, stadium or festival,
> that's where the artists are making their living these days. Even
> festivals run to tight schedules, with only 15 minutes allowed to switch
> between acts, including moving all the gear and repatching it. You can't
> ask the band to go and get a beer while you recompile your kernel :-)

Well, you've certainly slayed a straw man there. Just because I said it would
be good for people to compile their own kernels doesn't mean I meant
for them to do it on stage! Btw, I quite enjoy studio64, feel free to
update our rtwiki
with information about it.

Thanks.