Re: beagleboard RT problem

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, Sujit K M wrote:

> >> Why is RCU being set to y?
> >
> > It should be fine to set it to y
>
> Does Angstrom stable distribution need RCU?

> >> Fine.

> >> This is correct.

> >> I think this part is susceptible.
> >
> > Suceptible to what?
> > Those setting are all correct.
> > In fact, most are automatically set for you  after
> > choosing CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
>
> I thought in any Real Time system there can be only SoftIRQ's or
> HardIRQ's. Also CONFIG_PREEMPT is an Non RT design.
>

> > His problem is not with the config.
> >

> Above I think It is certainly an Config problem.

I'm sorry, but that is simply incorrect.
Please have a look at kernel/Kconfig.preempt

config PREEMPT_RT
	bool "Complete Preemption (Real-Time)"
	select PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS
	select PREEMPT_HARDIRQS
	select PREEMPT_RCU
	select RT_MUTEXES

This means that if you choose PREEMPT_RT
then all those other options are selected automatically for you.

config PREEMPT
	bool
	default y
	depends on PREEMPT_DESKTOP || PREEMPT_RT

This means that the symbol PREEMPT can only be enabled
if PREEMPT_RT (or PREEMPT_DESKTOP instead) are set to y

There is nothing wrong with his config.