Re: Fedora 10 as basis for RT?

Al Dorrington wrote:
Hi,

I am working on a proof of concept project where we are going to try moving an
application that runs on VxWorks to Linux. I believe with what I've read on this
mailing list, and the RTwiki site that Linux is definitely up to the task with
these kernel patches.

However, I am not really sure which distribution of Linux we should use as the
base, nor am I sure if it would be better to stick with the 'i386' distribution
or go with the x86_64 variant.

I am considering Fedora 10, either i386 or x86_64.
Does anyone have any comments or recommendations for which might be better to
use, or if we would be better off using another distribution?

As far as the distro goes, the one caveat used to be making sure you had one with a recent enough glibc so you could take advantage of Priority Inheritance with the pthread mutexes and such. That's pretty much no longer an issue, but FC10 does ship glibc2.9 which has the advantage of using PROCESS_PRIVATE futexes by default, which should give you slightly better performance in some situations.

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center