Re: Seeing 800us of latency with cyclictest on a PC with 2.6.26.8 rt patch. Is that normal?

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:34 -0400, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> Specifically, my laptop is a Dell Latitude D620.  I turned off a lot
> of the features in Kernel Hacking section (stack checking etc.)

Laptops are a bit notorious for heavy BIOS activity.

> I haven't ran cyclictest with the -b option yet as I can't find some
> of the .config parameters in this kernel that match the cyclictest
> latency checking documentation.  Before I beat my head against the
> wall too hard I thought I'd ping others and see if what I'm seeing is
> normal or if others were able to run on a PC and obtain very low
> latency.

this is out of a script I use.

sudo chrt -f 80 /usr/bin/time /usr/local/bin/cyclictest -n -q -p 99 -a -t -i 500
 -l $NLOOPS -h 10000 -m | tee -a $LOGFILE

> I'm trying to come up to speed on the latest 2.6 kernels after having
> most experience with 2.4 and early 2.6.  I see the TSC isn't used
> anymore.  I thought about just not using ACPI but I think that will
> kill my high res timers.  I do see a local ACPI otion so I don't know
> if that will make high res timers work ... I'm reading
> conflicting/dated info. so I thought I'd consult the experts so they
> can show me the way :)

ACPI is fine, deadlock detect is not...

Of the available patch sets, the 2.6.24-RT patch set is being used by a
few distros.

The 2.6.22 RT Kernel Suse ships is equally well tested and performs
better, or worse, depending who is getting paid by whom to do the
benchmark :)

Point is: Use the .22. or the .24 to get best-case numbers for your
config and platform, then take that config forward to .26 and beyond,
let us know about regressions.

I can offer you the configs for 2.6.22 in these packages as
tested/optimal.

http://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/SLERT10_BRANCH/

Sven