Re: Seeing 800us of latency with cyclictest on a PC with 2.6.26.8 rt patch. Is that normal?

Sven-Thorsten Dietrich <sven <at> thebigcorporation.com> writes:

> What hardware are you testing on?
>
> You should compare to the 2.6.24-RT patch set first of all, I would
> expect worst-cases to be 25% of what you are seeing.
>
> If it does not, then your configuration may have too much debugging
> turned on (boot log warns about some of these) - or you are indeed
> getting some SMI interference.
>
> SMIs can be turned off in many cases.
>
> Some vendors have warranty/support programs tied to SMI architectures,
> in these cases you might be able to press them for a custom BIOS
> (depending on volume and how much hell you want to raise)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sven

Thanks for your quick reply.

Specifically, my laptop is a Dell Latitude D620.  I turned off a lot of the
features in Kernel Hacking section (stack checking etc.)

I haven't ran cyclictest with the -b option yet as I can't find some of the
.config parameters in this kernel that match the cyclictest latency checking
documentation.  Before I beat my head against the wall too hard I thought I'd
ping others and see if what I'm seeing is normal or if others were able to run
on a PC and obtain very low latency.

I'm trying to come up to speed on the latest 2.6 kernels after having most
experience with 2.4 and early 2.6.  I see the TSC isn't used anymore.  I thought
about just not using ACPI but I think that will kill my high res timers.  I do
see a local ACPI option so I don't know if that will make high res timers work
... I'm reading conflicting/dated info. so I thought I'd consult the experts so
they can show me the way :)

Regards,

Brian