Re: RK3399 display flickering after kexec

Hi Vicenç,

On 12/12/19 23:04, Vicente Bergas wrote:
> Hi Enric, Douglas, Sean,
> there is an issue on RK3399-based platforms with display flickering.
> I have searched mailing list and found you have mentioned or were
> involved in related issues, so, you may be able to help.
>
> The issue has been observed on the Sapphire board and on google kevin,
> both are based on the RK3399. The display on Sapphire is connected
> through HDMI and on google kevin it's the built-in eDP panel.
>
> On the Sapphire board i have two bootloaders available: u-boot and
> an adaptation of
> https://gitlab.com/vicencb/kevinboot
> which is a linux-based bootloader by means of kexec.
>
> On google kevin i only have one bootloader: kevinboot with kexec.
>
> When running the first kernel (before kexec) or when booting with
> u-boot the display works fine.
>
> The issue appears when running the second kernel (after kexec).
> I have observed two kinds of flickering, sometimes it is just bursts
> of horizontal dark lines and sometimes it is the whole screen
> becoming black for less than a second.
> It happens very often, each time there is a big portion of the screen
> being updated, like, e.g. scrolling a text file or a web page in full
> screen mode.
>
> Do you have any ideas on what the root cause of the issue could be?

To be honest, I don't have idea, looks like some clock configuration issue? Did
you check the clock after and before? I might be interested to look a bit more
into the issue if this is reproducible using the coreboot bootloader. Do you
know if this happens with stock bootloader?

Thanks,
 Enric