RK3399 display flickering after kexec

Hi Enric, Douglas, Sean,
there is an issue on RK3399-based platforms with display flickering.
I have searched mailing list and found you have mentioned or were
involved in related issues, so, you may be able to help.

The issue has been observed on the Sapphire board and on google kevin,
both are based on the RK3399. The display on Sapphire is connected
through HDMI and on google kevin it's the built-in eDP panel.

On the Sapphire board i have two bootloaders available: u-boot and
an adaptation of
https://gitlab.com/vicencb/kevinboot
which is a linux-based bootloader by means of kexec.

On google kevin i only have one bootloader: kevinboot with kexec.

When running the first kernel (before kexec) or when booting with
u-boot the display works fine.

The issue appears when running the second kernel (after kexec).
I have observed two kinds of flickering, sometimes it is just bursts
of horizontal dark lines and sometimes it is the whole screen
becoming black for less than a second.
It happens very often, each time there is a big portion of the screen
being updated, like, e.g. scrolling a text file or a web page in full
screen mode.

Do you have any ideas on what the root cause of the issue could be?

Regards,
 Vicenç.