RE: [RFC 1/5] pinctrl: rz-pfc: Add Renesas RZ pinctrl core module

Hi Jacopo,

On Thursday, January 26, 2017, jacopo mondi wrote:
> > I think we should try to avoid the rz naming as much as possible since
> > this driver will hopefully be useful for other future Renesas devices
> > if they move to a similar pin-control type method. Maybe future "R-car"
> SoCs?
> > Or, maybe Renesas Marketing decides to come up with a new name for SoCs.
> >
> > Otherwise, you could end up with a directly like "mach-shmobile"
> > filled with a bunch of...well...not SH-Mobile parts.
> >
> > Maybe just
> >   drivers/pinctrl/renesas/pinctrl-renesas.c
> >

> Wouldn't this be confusing, as most of renesas SoC are supported through
> drivers/pinctrl/sh-pfc instead?

It's already confusing that a bunch of ARM parts use a "sh" pin controller.

In reality, any Renesas device could be a peripheral mix of ex-Mitsubishi,
ex-Hitachi, ex-NEC or Renesas original. Or, some IP was licensed from a 3rd
party (ie, the SDHI/TMIO controller).
The only thing consistent is "Renesas".

> I agree on dropping the rz name, if more SoC will come and join the pin-
> based PFC realm...

I will suggest it for the next generation of SoCs, so we'll see what happens...

Thanks,
Chris

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Samsung SOC]     [Linux Wireless]     [Linux Kernel]     [ATH6KL]     [Linux Bluetooth]     [Linux Netdev]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Device Mapper]