Re: [EXPERIMENTAL v1 0/4] RDMA loopback device

> > > Can you please publish fio results with nfs-rdma, nvme-fabrics, rds and
> > perftest using --infinite option by running it for one hour or so with rxe?
> > > It's been a while I did that. Last time when I tried with 5.0.0-rc5, perftest
> > crashed the kernel on MR registration.
> >
> > For now the device is limited to IBV_WR_SEND and IBV_WR_RECV opcodes
> > so anything with IBV_WR_RDMA_* is not yet supported.
> >
> User is running on Oracle virtual box on Windows laptop, where pvrdma backend is not available.
> Same goes to running VM in cloud where backend pvrdma is not available.

I'm not trying to convince you to use qemu and not Oracle VM, see my @ -:)
just wondering why in first place to choose hypervisor that does not have
pvrdma supported, VMWare and QEMU have it.

> Rdma is already hard to do and now we need to ask users to run a VM inside a VM and both have to have up to date kernel...

I agree that nested VM is a complex solution although i'm happily using it
as my dev and testing environment.

> Additionally it doesn't even reach basic criteria of running nvme fabrics perftests, qp1 of the users...

QP1 is (partly) supported.
(partly means rdmacm MADs only)

> So pvrdma + qemu is not a good starting point for this particular use case...
>
> And loopback is perfect driver for vm suspend/resume or migration cases with no dependency on host.
> But I don't think anyone would care for this anyway.

So loopback is used inside the VM?