RE: [EXPERIMENTAL v1 0/4] RDMA loopback device

A new user space provider is less complex at cost of system calls.
However it reuses most kernel pieces present today. User space driver is just a wrapper to ibv_cmd().
I see this approach as start on right foot with this approach by not writing new code but use existing infra.
And all 3 drivers (rxe, siw, loopback) reuse common user space driver, reuse resource allocator, and plugin their transport callbacks.
Or siw should modify the rxe instead of creating those pieces now.

> > But if you think rxe is solid, siw should refactor the rxe code and start
> using most pieces from there, split into library for roce and iw.
> > Once that layering is done, may be loopback can fit that as different L4 so
> that rxe uses skb, siw uses sockets, loopback uses memcpy.
>
> This is why rxe should have used rdmavt from the beginning and we would
> pretty much have such a library.
>
> > Loopback's helper.c is intended to share code with siw for table resources
> as xarray.
> > It also offers complete kernel level handling of data and control path
> commands and published perf numbers.
>
> We can debate back and forth whether this needed to be included in siw
> and rxe, or if it and the others should have used rdmavt. However, I think
> this is different enough of an approach that it does stand on its own and
> could in fact be a new driver.
>

> The fact that rxe is broken and no one seems to want to fix it shouldn't be
> our reason though.
Same reasoning applies to siw. It should refactor out the code such that new L4 piece can be fit in there.
But we are not taking that direction, same reasoning applies to similar other driver too.

The main reason to not refactor rxe is, its major rewrite to support IB link without skb layer. Same refactor is needed for siw to reuse rxe.
And due to that I forked a new driver, but whose user space can be useable across siw and loopback, and also resource table code.