Re: [EXPERIMENTAL v1 0/4] RDMA loopback device

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:27:34AM +0000, Parav Pandit wrote:

> > What is the real use case for this?
> Use case is fairly simple. Group of developers and users are running VMs on laptop and in cloud without hw HCAs for devel purposes and automated unit and Jenkins tests of their application.
> Such tests run for few hundreds of QPs and intent to exchange million messages.
> This is mainly RoCE users.
> rxe is not fitting these needs with its current state.

To run RDMA device in a VM even when no real HCA is installed on host i can
suggest QEMU's pvrdma device which is on its way to become a real product.

> Bart was looking to run on loopback (similar to other user request I received) here [1].
>
> So I am looking at something insanely simple but extendible who can find more uses as we go forward.

Suggestion: To enhance 'loopback' performances, can you consider using
shared memory or any other IPC instead of going thought the network stack?