Re: [EXPERIMENTAL v1 0/4] RDMA loopback device

> > Suggestion: To enhance 'loopback' performances, can you consider using
> > shared memory or any other IPC instead of going thought the network stack?
> >
> Loopback driver in this patchset doesn't use network stack.
> It is just 2000 lines of wrapper to memcpy() to enables applications to use rdma.

To have a dedicated driver just for the loopback will force the user to do
a smart select, i.e. to use lo device for local traffic and rxe for
non-local.
This is hard decision to make as user will not always know where the peer
is running (just consider migration).

I vote for enhancing rxe with this memcpy when it detects that peer is on
the same host. If it is on the same device (two different gids) then we do
not even need shared memory.

I once played with the idea of modifying the virt-to-phy table so instead
of memcpy just replace the mapping of the dest address with phy-addr of
source.
But this might be too far :)