RE: 2018 UCX and RDMA Annual Developers Meeting

On 11/26/2018 6:56 AM, Doug Ledford wrote:
> On 11/22/2018 11:25 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > It might help to explain what UCF is any why it pretends to be
> > relevant for Linux.  Especially with such a short notice..
>
> Indeed.  And why all of this has been done behind closed doors with only just
> this last minute announcement.  Or what this OpenRDMA group is and why
> someone thinks it needs/deserves to exist?

UCX is an open source project that exist for several years now, and multiple companies and organizations participate in the development of it. In order to help drive UCX an official consortium was set for it. Something common in the industry.

The group though it will be useful to help the RDMA community and applications developers, as part of the consortium activities, as nothing exist out there for this. For example improving the man pages, provide support for application developers etc. This can only help the RDMA community. And as such UCF thought it will be useful to have some talks at the annual UCX consortium. We are sorry that we missed sending this info the this mailing list, but it is better later than never.

There is no fragmentations here. UCX is not new and demonstrates  nice adoption and usage. The RDMA work is only going to help the RDMA community. We are not aware of any other group that does it today.

> I'll be frank, this looks like a pretty concerted effort to intentionally fragment
> things in this community even further than they already are.  Intentional
> running off to play in a walled garden instead of working upstream.
>
> --
> Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
>     GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD
>     Key fingerprint = AE6B 1BDA 122B 23B4 265B  1274 B826 A333 0E57 2FDD

Regards,
Gilad Shainer
Mellanox Technologies