Re: rdma-core stable releases

Le 13/11/2017 à 10:04, Nicolas Morey-Chaisemartin a écrit :

> Le 13/11/2017 à 09:47, Amrani, Ram a écrit :
>>> DPDK runs ABI compliance checker.
>>> http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/ABI_compliance_checker
>>>
>>> I would love to see it running for rdma-core.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> It is logical that ABI version changes won't be supported. As well as new features that affect the ABI.
>> Still, I would like to have the following fix ability -
>> Use a bit in an existing u32, via adding an entry to an existing enum.
>> I can imagine this being used as a feature disable/enable.
>>
>> What do you consider as an "ABI change"?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ram
> When I mean no ABI changes I mean that anything compiled against rdma-core X.Y also compiles (and and run without recompiling) against X.Z with Z >= Y.
> This is very important for distro maintenance. You cannot break your user code just to add a fix.
>
> Your request should be compatible BUT, it may create some more difficulties for rdma-core users.
> Basically I don't want developers to have to fill their code with ifdefs code to deal with all the versions of stable releases.
>
> So let's say no to your request by default, but if you have a very good reason and it's the most sensible way to fix an issue, I'll be open to discussion ;)
>
> Nicolas
>
> --

I'm guessing your concern is for this patch:
    verbs: Do not block QP attr_masks used by older kernels

The new bits could be accepted.
But as the new enum values have 0 effect (the fix in itself is just the first two hunks that change the bitmask computations), it'd be better to resubmit the patch without the new bits for the stable branch.