Re: [for-next 5/6] net/mlx5: Bump driver version

On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:55:22 -0400, Dennis Dalessandro wrote:
> >> I realize Dave has already pulled this and I'm not asking for it to be
> >> reverted but maybe some discussion will help guide future patch submissions
> >> which do this stuff.
> >>

> > Sure, although i don't think we are going to use those version fields
> > in the future,
> > please allow me to ask, how do you do your driver versioning ? how do
> > you track things ?
> > and what is your future vision regarding ethool->drv_version ?
>
> That's just the thing, we don't do anything with it either really. I'm
> trying to justify its existence to myself and if you folks had some whiz
> bang idea for a driver version I was interested in hearing what it was.

FWIW I put VERMAGIC_STRING in drv_version:

# ethtool -i p4p1
driver: nfp
version: 4.12.0-rc2-perf-00282-gc42dfc79

I think I got that idea from Felix Fietkau.  The backport-ified version
of the driver [1] uses git hash and "o-o-t" sting:

# ethtool -i p4p1
driver: nfp
version: 49e5c6abf5b2 (o-o-t)

So it's pretty easy to tell which driver the customer is using.  I
could probably throw in the output of $(git rev-list --count HEAD) to
have an automatic monotonically increasing "version" when built
out-of-tree, hm...

[1] https://github.com/Netronome/nfp-drv-kmods