Re: srp_daemon : targets by default

Hi Bart,

    B> Hello Roland,
    >>
    B> Does that mean that most Debian users do not yet have that change
    B> in their /etc/srp_daemon.conf and when they upgrade and the
    B> packaged version of /etc/srp_daemon.conf gets installed that SRP
    B> login to remote systems will not occur anymore after a reboot?
    >>
    >> The pre/postinst files of the new package version are written,
    >> such that the new config file/behavior has to be explicitly
    >> enabled by the admin when the package is updated. Only new
    >> installations get the new config file automatically.
    >>
    B> Since you wrote in a previous message that such changes are
    B> mentioned in the NEWS file: how many people do you think read
    B> that file before or after installing an upgrade?
    >>
    >> The NEWS file is displayed automatically if the apt-listchanges
    >> package is installed.

    B> Hello Roland,

    B> Please revert this change such that the Debian srptools package
    B> is again in sync with the upstream srptools package and such that
    B> SRP users are saved a few hours of frustration by trying to
    B> figure out why SRP login doesn't work if they would install a
    B> version of srptools in which /etc/srp_daemon.conf disables login
    B> by default.

    B> In case you would not be aware of this: I am the maintainer of
    B> the upstream srptools package.

I didn't find any of the arguments presented against this change really
convincing. You make an assumption about SRP users whereas the motivation
of the change came from a bug report by a real user who was frustrated
with the previous config. Understandably in my opinion.

Anyway, since I'm not a DD, I can't revert it. Benjamin, since you're a
DD and if you also believe the change should be reverted, please feel free
to do so.

Roland