Re: [RFC] libibverbs IB device hotplug support

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:15:31PM +0000, Weiny, Ira wrote:
> > On the call we discussed that today there is no 'incarnation'
> > value exposed for the uverbs%.  You suggested an optimization by
> > using the cdev's file creation timestamp as option for libibverbs
> > to understand that the driver did or did-not restart since mapping
> > of that ibv_device.

Not the cdev, read the timestamp from /sys/class/infiniband/mlx4_0/hca_type

> > Main pitfalls with this is if system time is being modified (admin
> > or ntp/ptp). In the rare case that we have a hoplug event and time
> > is rewinded we can accidentally reach a very hard debugging
> > exercise.

You are only using it for direct equality comparision, so someone
would have to roll back the clock and hotplug the driver at the exact
same nano-second resolution timestamp. That is deeply unlikely to ever
happen by accident.

Jason