Re: rdma-core release?

On 10/12/2016 3:00 PM, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> Jason wrote,
>
>> What does OFED do, and what do you want? Closeness to current distro packaging? Closeness to future packaging? Something OFED >specific?
>
> I think this is still a TBD and needs further discussion within the OFA EWG and with Vlad to see what makes the most sense.
> We clearly have to comprehend things like upgrading from older versions of OFED and consider things that the Linux distro
> might want us to do to make their lives easier, and the answer to that is likely different depending on the Linux distro.

For us, this will likely depend on what release you are talking about.
It is very difficult to change package names in the middle of an
existing release.  We try to avoid that if at all possible.  So we will
likely use a spec file that spits out all the same package names people
are used to for EL 7, and wait until our next major release to switch to
the more monolithic package setup.

For someone like OFED this matters too because their scripts have to be
made aware of all possible package names so they know to remove the
inbox packages before they install their own.  For the foreseeable
future, the OFED scripts will have to be aware of both a monolithic
build and a split out build just so it can do the removal successfully.
They are then free to install the packages however they see fit.

There will be some education issues to resolve.  Even though we are
likely to split up the package output on EL 7, there is not a 1 to 1
correspondence.  For example, there will only be one debuginfo package
for the entire build, so people who thought they could do yum install
libmlx4-debuginfo are going to be wondering why it isn't available.  But
there isn't much we can do about that.  Fortunately, it's only the
debuginfo and src rpm that will change this way, we can create all of
the other split out packages so things will look mostly the same way.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG Key ID: 0E572FDD