Re: [RFC ABI V2 5/8] RDMA/core: Add new ioctl interface

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > I can't help that IBTA created a different scheme for device
> > aggregation, addressing, and basically everything else. 'standard
> > convention' in the kernel really just means ethernet, and this isn't
> > like ethernet, except superficially.
>
> Well you can create your own non ethernet protocol. Why is there not an IB
> ulp that allows basic messaging, listen() and all the other stuff using
> standard system calls? There should be a netdev. I already see devices
> in /sys/class/infiniband/*! But they are not listed in /proc/net/dev!!!
>
> Why can we not use these with regular syscalls? Could provide this basic
> support for native infiniband? And maybe offload some of the need for
> esoteric IB ioctl functions that could just be provided by the standard
> calls? F.e. statistics and device configuration would be simplified and possible using
> the standard tools. IB devices have MACs as well. We could reuse quite a
> bit of software there.

I recall this functionality is being called as SDP (Socket Direct
Protocol) in Annex-4 of IB spec. 1.3 which used be present in older
2.6.x kernel as well as an ULP.
Vaguely recall it as non zcopy implementation.

Few older papers on this:
1. Asynchronous Zero-copy Communication for Synchronous Sockets in the
Sockets Direct Protocol (SDP) over InfiniBand
2. Zero Copy Sockets Direct Protocol over InfiniBand - Preliminary
Implementation and Performance Analysis
3. Transparently Achieving Superior Socket Performance Using Zero Copy
Socket Direct Protocol over IB
4. One more paper from Microsoft, I don't have ready reference too
which did zcopy implementation

Parav