Re: [RFC ABI V2 5/8] RDMA/core: Add new ioctl interface

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:57:09PM -0500, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > The device_id part of the extension allows each driver to have its own
> > globally unique number space without requireing another ioctl block.
>
> But you already have that uniqueness if the ioctl filehandle provides
> that.

The argument is that ioctls should be self-describing and never rely
on the filehandle to uniq them. That is basically standard in the
kernel, and why we have Documentation/ioctl/ioctl-number.txt
describing how to uniquely assign ioctl numbers.

There is nothing special here, we are just creating a much larger
ioctl # space by using (ioctl #, operation, device_id) as the globally
unique key, following existing best-practice if self-identifying ioctls.

> multi-device requirements in the network code require a new device that
> aggregates the other ones. The aggregation device is not world accessible.
> The same approach could be used for RDMA.

Some do, some don't. The rdma_cm requirement is more like
listen(0.0.0.0) which does not require special net device aggregation.

> > No, strace doesn't know what an open FD is, it just inspects the ioctl
> > # and content to do its decode. Requiring strace to decode differently
> > depending on what was opened would be the deviation from what we do
> > today.
>
> It is the  basic Unix convention to have a descriptor/file handle refer to
> a device. There is nothing special required here from strace.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are lots of examples both ways.

/dev/pts/ptmx, /dev/mapper/control, /dev/btrfs-control, etc, etc are
all examples of multi-device control fds similar to the proposed
single char dev.

.. and bear in mind that /dev/uverbs0 doesn't even really make that
much sense as it aggregates two physical ports. There is already no
way to split permissions up by port, which is a logical thing to want
for some dual-rail configurations.

What we have today really doesn't make much sense.

Jason