Re: [RFC ABI 0/8] Netlink-based IOCTLs RDMA ABI

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 05:56:29PM +0000, Hefty, Sean wrote:
> > > I am referring to the creation of an ioctl handling framework that is suitable for use by the rdma
> > cm, ib cm (if kept), verb devices, and non-verbs drivers that do not plug into the kernel verbs
> > framework.  The kernel clients are the items I mentioned.  Having a common ioctl handling framework
> > will maximize code reuse.
> >
> > It looks too generic for RDMA subsystem. What does it make this IOCTL framework specific to RDMA?
>
> I'm not sure how something can be too generic.  Everything I mentioned above exists as part of the RDMA subsystem.

If I understand your proposal correctly, the proposed IOCTL framework will be
able to handle all types of objects without any limitations in order and locking,
everything is going to be processed by the driver, which will decide if
such object/method is supported or not.

What will stop the GPU with DRMs to use it?