Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 11:49:44AM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Sun, 2024-07-28 at 17:16 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 02:18:26PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > > Hi Dan,

> > > Would there be enough space at the maintainers' summit for all the
> > > relevant people to join the discussion ?
> >
> > Who exactly would you consider the "relevant people" here?  It's been
> > a wide-ranging conversation/thread :)
>
> This is a bit of a trick question, since there seem to be three
> separate but intertwined things here
>
>    1. What to do about cross subsystem NAKs (as in how far does one
>       subsystem have the ability to NAK something another does because
>       they fear it will impact them ... passthrough being only one
>       example).
>    2. Industry education to help manufacturers making bad decisions
>       about openness and APIs make better ones that actually benefit
>       their business in the long run.
>    3. Standards for open drivers (i.e. is passthrough always evil).
>
> 1. is definitely Maintainer Summit material.

And to ask again, who do you should participate in this?

> 2. was something the LF used to help us with but seems to have
> foundered of late (I think on the general assumption that CNCF gets it
> right, so we can stop pushing)

Based on the number of meetings and trips I keep having with different
companies over the past years, 2. is not something that the LF is no
longer doing, as they fund me doing this all the time.  Including
visiting and educating your current employer about these very issues
recently :)

So don't fall into the "because it's not done in a loud way it must not
be happening" trap here please.

thanks,

greg k-h