Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 05:43:21PM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> [...]
> > > include/linux/mlx5/mlx5_ifc.h
> > >
> > > There is an open PDF describing in detail some subset of this:
> > > https://network.nvidia.com/files/doc-2020/ethernet-adapters-programming-manual.pdf
> > >
> > > There are in-kernel implementations driving most of those commands.
> >
> > For camera ISPs, most of the "commands" wouldn't be driven by the
> > kernel. I don't have expectations when it comes to what commands the
> > kernel exercises directly, I think that highly depends on the device
> > type.
> >
> > > Other commands are only issued by userspace, and we have open source
> > > DPDK, rdma-core and UCX implementations driving them.
> > >
> > > ie, this is really quite good as far as a device providing open source
> > > solutions goes.
> > >
> > > However, no doubt there is more FW capability and commands than even
> > > this vast amount documents - so lets guess that propritary code is
> > > using this interface with unknown commands too.
> > >
> > > From a camera perspective would you be OK with that? Let's guess that
> > > 90% of use cases are covered with fully open code. Do we also need to
> > > forcefully close the door to an imagined 10% of proprietary cases just
> > > to be sure open always wins?
> >
> > For command buffers interpreted by a firmware, it would be extremely
> > difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that nothing undocumented is
> > possible to access from userspace. I think we have two issues here, one
> > of them is to define what we required to be openly accessible, and the
> > other to avoid vendors cheating by claiming to be more open than they
> > actually are.
> >
> > I believe the latter can't be solved technically. At the end of the day
> > it's a matter of trust, and the only option I can see is to build that
> > trust with the vendors, and to make it clear that breaches of trust will
> > have consequences. A vendor that deliberately lies would end up on my
> > personal backlist for as long as they don't implement structural
> > solutions to be a better player in the ecosystem. What is acceptable as
> > consequences is for the communities to decide. We have previously banned
> > people or organizations from contributing to the kernel for certain
> > periods of time (the University of Minnesota case comes to my mind for
> > instance), and other options can be considered too.
> >
> > As for the first issue, I think it's a difficult one as it is very
> > difficult to quantify the features covered by open implementations, as
> > well as their importance. You could have a 99% open command set where
> > the 1% would impact open implementations extremely negatively, the same
> > way you could have a 50% open command set where the other 50% isn't of
> > any use to anyone but the vendor (for instance used to debug the
> > firmware implementation).
>
> It is not that difficult. You just have to define what an acceptable
> implementation is. Eg
>
> - Sharpness at specific light.
> - Time of convergence for the Auto algorithms

Those may just be bad examples, but I think they showcase how little
these discussions are based on technical expertise and facts. Just
singling out one example, the convergence time is driven by the
userspace implementation of the ISP control algorithms. That is *not*
something we want to force vendors to disclose. It isn't related to the
ISP parameters and the UAPI the driver exposes to userspace.

> We could even use the SoftISP implementation as reference. Is this ISP
> working better or worse than SoftISP?
>
> > For cameras, the feature set can I believe be expressed in terms of ISP
> > processing blocks that are usable by open implementations, as well as in
> > terms of the type of usage of those features. For instance, is it
> > acceptable that a vendor documents how to use 2D noise reduction but
> > makes 3D (temporal) noise reduction available only to close-source
> > userspace ? My personal answer is no. I want to aim for very close to
> > 100% of the features, and certainly 100% of the "large" features. I can
> > close my eyes on features that are very very niche, but what is niche
> > today may not be tomorrow. For instance, if a camera ISP implements a
> > feature used only for very specific camera sensors targetted at
> > autonomous driving in a new generation of research prototypes that only
> > one company has access to, I'll be inclined to ignore that. That
> > technology may however become much more mainstream 5 years later.
>
> We can update our requirements in 5 years. Nothing is written in stone.

That at least we agree on :-)

> Also it is much easier to reverse engineer an open driver, with an
> open userspace and a closed userspace than a close driver with a
> closed userspace.

Closed kernel drivers are a GPL violation. Do you have any example, or
do you mean out-of-tree drivers ? I don't think out-of-tree vs. mainline
drivers would make much difference when it comes to reverse engineering,
if the mainline driver is just a pass-through driver.

> > The other aspect is the type of usage of the features. For camera ISPs
> > again, some parameters will be computed through a tuning process, and
> > will be fixed for the lifetime of the camera. I want those parameters to
> > be documented, to enable users to tune cameras for their own use cases.
> > This is less important in some market segments, such as laptops for
> > instance, but is crucial for embedded devices. This is an area where
> > I've previously been called unreasonable, and I don't think that's fair.
> > The tuned-and-immutable parameters are not plentiful, as most of the
> > tuning results in data that needs to be combined with runtime
> > information to compute ISP parameters, so the "this is for tuning only"
> > argument doesn't hold as much as one may think. For real immutable
> > parameters, a large number of them are related to image processing steps
> > that are very common and found in most ISPs, such as lens shading
> > correction or geometric distorsion correction. I don't see why we should
> > let vendors keep those closed.
>
> We don't have enough leverage for that kind of requirement.

I very much disagree with that.

> To be fair, we do not ask touchscreen manufacturers to document their
> calibration files. Nor any other calibration file in the kernel.
>
> The calibration file for me is like a firmware blob.

It may be for you, but I don't think it is an accurate description for
the rest of the industry.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart