Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 10:31:25PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> I don't think those are necessarily relevant examples, as far as device
> pass-through goes. Vendors have many times reverted to proprietary ways,
> and they still do, at least in the areas of the kernel I'm most active
> in. I've seen first hand a large SoC vendor very close to opening a
> significant part of their camera stack and changing their mind at the
> last minute when they heard they could possibly merge their code through
> a different subsystem with a pass-through blank cheque.

If someone came with a fully open source framework for (say) some
camera, with a passthrough kernel driver design, would you reject it
soley because it is passthrough based and you are scared that
something else will use it to do something not open source?

I wouldn't agree with that position, I think denying users useful open
source solutions out of fear is not what Linux should be doing.

Jason