Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 3:11 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 10:02:27AM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:

> > > I've seen these kind of examples being repeatedly given in discussions
> > > related to camera ISP support in Linux. They are very misleading. These
> > > are not the kind of features that are relevant for the device
> > > pass-through discussion these day. Those are high-level use cases
> > > implemented in userspace, and vendors can ship any closed-source
> > > binaries they want there. What I care about is the features exposed by
> > > the kernel to userspace API.
> >
> > The ISPs are gradually becoming programmable devices and they indeed
> > help during all of those examples.
>
> I'd like to see more technical information to substantiate this claim.
> So far what I've sometimes seen is ISPs that include programmable
> elements, but hiding those behind a firmware that exposes a fixed
> (configurable) pipeline. I've also heard of attempts to expose some of
> that programmability to the operating system, which were abandoned in
> the end due to lack usefulness.
>
> > Userspace needs to send/receive information from the ISP, and that is
> > exactly what vendors want to keep in the close.
>
> But that's exactly what we need to implement an open userspace ecosystem
> :-)
>
> > Describing how they implement those algorithms is a patent minefield
> > and their differentiating factor.
>
> Those are also arguments I've heard many times before. The
> differentiating factor for cameras today is mostly in userspace ISP
> control algorithms, and nobody is telling vendors they need to open all
> that.

I disagree. The differentiating factor is what the ISP is capable of
doing and how they do it. Otherwise we would not see new ISPs in the
market.

If you define the arguments passed to an ISP you are defining the
algorithm, and that is a trade secret and/or a patent violation.

> When it comes to patents, we all know how software patents is a
> minefield, and hardware is also affected. I can't have much sympathy for
> this argument though, those patents mostly benefit the largest players
> in the market, and those are the ones who currently claim they can't
> open anything due to patents.

Big players do not usually sue each other. The big problem is patent
trolls that "shoot at everything that moves".

I dislike patents, but it is the world we have to live in. No vendor
is going to take our approach if they risk a multi million dollar
lawsuit.

--
Ricardo Ribalda