Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

Hi Laurent

On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 9:44 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 04:20:35PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > As a user, and as an open source Distro developer I have a small hint.
> > > But you could also ask users what they think about not being able to
> > > use their notebook's cameras. The last time that I could not use some
> > > basic hardware from a notebook with Linux was 20 years ago.
> >
> > Lucky you, I still have consumer hardware (speaker) that doesn't work
> > with Linux, and even now, there is basic hardware in my current
> > laptop (HP docking station) that doesn't work reliably in Linux.

> > > It means that we should not block the standard usage for 99% of the
> > > population just because 1% of the users cannot do something fancy with
> > > their device.
> >
> > Right, the problem is that in some areas the statistics slightly different.
> > 99% population is blocked because 1% of the users don't need it and
> > don't think that it is "normal" flow.
> >
> > > Let me give you an example. When I buy a camera I want to be able to
> > > do Video Conferencing and take some static photos of documents. I do
> > > not care about: automatic makeup, AI generated background, unicorn
> > > filters, eyes recentering... But we need to give a way to vendors to
> > > implement those things closely, without the marketing differentiators,
> > > vendors have zero incentive to invest in Linux, and that affects all
> > > the population.
>
> I've seen these kind of examples being repeatedly given in discussions
> related to camera ISP support in Linux. They are very misleading. These
> are not the kind of features that are relevant for the device
> pass-through discussion these day. Those are high-level use cases
> implemented in userspace, and vendors can ship any closed-source
> binaries they want there. What I care about is the features exposed by
> the kernel to userspace API.

The ISPs are gradually becoming programmable devices and they indeed
help during all of those examples.

Userspace needs to send/receive information from the ISP, and that is
exactly what vendors want to keep in the close.

Describing how they implement those algorithms is a patent minefield
and their differentiating factor.

--
Ricardo Ribalda