Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

Hi Leon,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 01:44:07PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 11:53:17AM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > You know, trust is a two-way street. If you want to trust maintainers,
> > > they need to trust others as well. The situation where one maintainer
> > > says "I don't trust you, so I will not allow you and other X maintainers
> > > to do Y" is not a healthy situation.

> > > It is wishful thinking. It is clearly not true for large subsystems
> > > and/or complex devices.
> >
> > Are you saying that kernel communities behind large subsystems for
> > complex devices generally have no idea about what they're doing ? Or
> > that in a small number of particular cases those communities are
> > clueless ? Or does that apply to just the maintainer, not the whole
> > subsystem core developers ? I'd like to better understand the scale of
> > your claim here.
>
> I don't know how you jumped from saying "the maintainers of the relevant
> subsystems" to "kernel communities". I'm talking about maintainers, not
> communities.

I wasn't too sure, so that's why I asked. I have also not been very
precise in my previous e-mails. When I mentioned trusting maintainers, I
meant trusting the combined knowledge of the relevant maintainer(s) and
core developer(s) for a subsystem. The number of people that this
covers, and how they collectively reach agreements, very much depends on
subsystems.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart