Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 10:25:30PM +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> > > I'm with Greg on this ... can you point to some of the contrary
> > > positions?
> >
> > This thread has that discussion:
> >
> > http://lore.kernel.org/0-v1-9912f1a11620+2a-fwctl_jgg@xxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > I do not want to speak for others on the saliency of their points, all I
> > can say is that the contrary positions have so far not moved me to drop
> > consideration of fwctl for CXL.
> >
> > Where CXL has a Command Effects Log that is a reasonable protocol for
> > making decisions about opaque command codes, and that CXL already has a
> > few years of experience with the commands that *do* need a Linux-command
> > wrapper.
> >
> > Some open questions from that thread are: what does it mean for the fate
> > of a proposal if one subsystem Acks the ABI and another Naks it for a
> > device that crosses subsystem functionality? Would a cynical hardware
> > response just lead to plumbing an NVME admin queue, or CXL mailbox to
> > get device-specific commands past another subsystem's objection?
>
> My default answer would be to trust the maintainers of the relevant
> subsystems (or try to convince them when you disagree :-)).

You know, trust is a two-way street. If you want to trust maintainers,
they need to trust others as well. The situation where one maintainer
says "I don't trust you, so I will not allow you and other X maintainers
to do Y" is not a healthy situation.

> Not only should they know the technical implications best, they should also have
> a good view of the whole vertical stack, and the implications of
> pass-through for their ecosystem.

It is wishful thinking. It is clearly not true for large subsystems
and/or complex devices.

Thanks